Sarvajanik College of Engineering & Technology
Department of Training & Placements
Tips to make a good career in Engineering / Management:
- Try to clear all subjects at the first attempt (Zero ATKTs)
- Use standard text books instead of so called GTU Guides.
- No need of Tuitions, use web portals like nptel.ac.in which includes video lectures of almost all subjects of all branches given by eminent Professors from premier institutes like IITs.
- Have a vision of clearing GATE exam in final year even if you are planning for MBA.
- Best time for starting GATE preparations is after your 4th semester examinations are over. PSUs like ONGC, BPL, HPCL etc recruits only on base of GATE score.
- With GATE score, one can also do MTech on Govt. scholarships upto Rs 14,000 per month.
- Make a good final year project instead of going for 3rd party assistance.
- Build up your persona (Non Academic part of you):
- Eligibility requirements from big Corporates are 60 to 65 % aggregate marks with 0, 1 or 2 ATKTs. Once you are eligible, a student with 60 is at par with one having 95%. Your persona will decide who is selected. But better academics will always help in performing the Job better (if you are selected!!)
- The selection process of Tier 1 IT companies like AMDOCS, Cognizant, HCL, Infosys, TCS is almost non-technical. Once you are eligible, they select on the basis of good Soft Skills like Communication skills, listening skills, Discipline, Leadership skills, Body language, Expertise in English Language, Team spirit, Time management, etc
- The companies who are into Core Business Domains like ESSAR, L&T, Torrent, etc select on the basis of Technical Written test as well as screening for above Soft Skills.
- The above skills can be developed over a period of time by participating in various Training & extra culliculur activities & in college and outside
- Participate & perform well in various Student Competitions of Corporates. It is an alternate way of getting selected by them.
- Your Vision :
- Have a clear vision of what you want to do after BE i.e. a Business, Job, MBA/MTech, job in Surat or anywhere in India/world.
- Remember, only academics will never get you a job. There are many cases where a college topper is without Job and a student with average marks but good personality gets a job.
T&P office: 1st flr, Adm. Building, N. J Seminar hall, email@example.com – Head,
Department of Training and Placements